About filters and personal internet bubbles

When I started blogging some time ago, it was mainly because I did not like the idea that only a certain group of people has access to what I am writing about. It is not that I am spreading world changing thoughts here. But I wanted to participate on what I understood as "the internet" - or "web 2.0" to be more precise. Something that everybody who wants to participate in, can do so - also knowing that everybody else on the internet can access it.
With all pros and cons, this is what it is - or was - all about.
Forget about my blog at this point, but think about Wikipedia. I am mentioning Wikipedia even though there are many limitations and hurdles. In its idea, it is a platform in which everybody can participate and everybody can access it. Still one of the most remarkable things the internet has brought up.

The social networks turned out to become a sort of private internet for groups of people. But this wasn't an issue initially. There is information that you do not want to share on the world wide web. That also applies to me. I am fine with that.
Now that more and more information is spread via social networks and also search engines and shopping portals are getting more and more social, the user is getting more and more limited to his view on the world. I don't think that this is a bad thing in general. What I actually would like to have is a button to turn it off. We could call it the "cosmopolite button".
But it might be even more. In the TED Talk embedded below Eli Perser is pointing out that search engines and news sites might have a sort of social responsibility to confront the user with relevant news.

It's not always about what you Like.



Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

New York - Rio - Tokyo

Material Design